Search This Blog

Sunday, May 26, 2013

Memorial Day Weekend...No Quilting Yet

I looked out at the canal behind our house this morning and here's what I saw. This, my friends, if you've never had the pleasure, is a Nutria. He is the biggest one we've seen yet!  They are an invasive rodent that looks like a large muskrat, swims and tunnels like a beaver, has large yellow teeth and long rat-tail. They are as prolific as rabbits and take over the waterways here. They are not indigenous to our area. I am not sure how they got here but they aren't a good thing.




This guy is as big as our pug, Lowki, who weighs around 27 pounds!



After our Nutria sighting, we took Lowki for a walk on the beach. This is the walkway to the dog part of the beach.





Lowki was so stoked he wouldn't even eat breakfast until we got home. He loves the beach! See the big smile? It's there for the entire time at the beach!









Here's daddy bringing him back to the car. 






The next 4 hours we spent weeding, mowing, and trimming around the yard.We aren't done but I may  be for today.  I trimmed all of the roses in the back and weeded the blackberries. I weeded all the poison ivy out of the front I could find along with stuff in general in several other areas around the front flower beds. Rick started digging up the ornamental grass near the house that we are going to get rid of. All it does is hide the poison ivy and make it hard to keep weeded. After a nice shower, I think I'll dig into to my sewing room weeding project next. I think I'll sleep well tonight!

Have a wonderful weekend! Don't forget to honor the fallen men and women that have helped to keep our country free...the reason we're celebrating this weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment