Search This Blog

Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Making of a Small Art Quilt...not for the faint at heart!

This has not been a very productive week for me. I just haven't had enough energy at night after work to do what I want. Migraines and a tight neck and back have sapped my energy. 

This is a short display of what it takes to make a small 12" X 12" quilt. Seems so simple, right? And it it's really difficult. The thing is, it takes an idea which then needs to mature and grow sometimes for days. Then the real fun begins when I try to decide how I want to put my little jewel together and what fabrics and backgrounds I want to use. Often I paint my backgrounds to get what I want. But not this time. Below are pictures of what my sewing studio looks like as I begin my work. 
Trust me, it isn't pretty! 



More fabrics pulled...lightbox out...I've already drawn my picture...now  I have to have two copies . One to make pieces and one to lay them out. Then they need to be traced piece by piece on fusible web so they can be ironed down. And this is just the beginning!



Fabric scattered all over the place...try one, no...then another...maybe...


Until I get what I am happy with. For this piece the theme is the color pink. I am not a big Pink fan so it was out of my comfort zone. I do have pink coneflowers, however, and I love them. So I decided on a single flower on a subtle neutral background with cursive print. I actually am quite pleased with the result but I have a long ways to go.



I am not going to be finished for a challenge that ends today, but you just can't rush some things. I now have to pull tons of threads so I can thread paint all the details of the flower. Then I need to quilt  it and making a binding of sorts. I'll re-post my finished piece hopefully before the weekend is through. Next time you see someone's beautiful little quilt, you might have a better understanding of what went into making it.

No comments:

Post a Comment