Search This Blog

Friday, August 9, 2013

Drawstring Bag Swap with the Modern Quilt Guilds of Maryland and DC

 I know I'm not posting much lately but it's summer. Life is busy in the summer and I just haven't had a lot of time to sew. I didn't want to bore anyone with the details of my daily life. I totally enjoy my life, mind you, (walking on the beach, working, walking on the beach, cleaning, working, going out for good times, walking on the beach) all things you'd love hate to hear about on this blog! Alrighty then, back to quilting...

Here is a sneak peek of my drawstring bag for our swap. The Virginia Beach Modern Quilt Guild of which I am a member is swapping these little beauties with the MQGs of Maryland and DC.  First we are sent a person's name and address. We all try to post something on our Flickr site showing what our interests are as far as color and style and so on. Then we make a bag, and along with $10 worth of sewing supplies, or candy, or whatever, send it to our secret pal. It is sometimes hard to know what the other person likes by what they post but given that this is a modern quilt guild and from what I did see, I chose a new fabric I just got that I love along with some fabric from another new line I purchased recently in the hopes that I figured my secret pal out. I hope she likes it. I am pleased with how it came out.




Below is a photo of the same fabric on the other side of the bag. The little gift inside is a set of binding clips that I love using.


The bag did not call for quilting. It's a simple little drawstring bag but I saw one on Flickr that was quilted and fell in love with it. I decided to just quilt around some of the items in the fabric then echo quilt them in the negative spaces. It gives the little bag more body. I used a brown ribbon with green dots for the ties rather than make them from fabric. 


What do you think? Would this be a surprise you'd enjoy?

1 comment:

  1. I think it is lovely. Birds are always a good theme. I just ordered a bunch of fabric on line. Susy wants new couch pillows - gray, orange, cream and gold. Had lots of company this summer. Trying to get to Sarah's to quilt on Fri.

    ReplyDelete